July 29, 2017

WAITING FOR SHELLEY

WAITING FOR SHELLEY

My dear brother in poetry,
I waited for your prompt return
from the Gulf of Spezia where
you sailed the Italian waters
with two friends who likewise loved
to sail the Ligurian Sea.
Only the month before, we cheered
your thirtieth birthday. Mary
prepared your favorite supper.
We toasted goblets filled with wine.
We cheered your poem “When Soft Voices
Die.” Now July gallops away
with you in tow. Percy, silent
the lyrical lines you will not write,
unheard laughter at Casa Magni!
    How deep the sorrow, how great the loss!
    I spend my hours now reading
   your poetry, your timeless sonnet
   of the colossus: “…boundless and bare 
   the lone and level sands stretch far away.”


   #

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your poems about poets. They read as if you were friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debi, we'd like to believe they were!

    ReplyDelete